OS Grid Ref:- SH 547564
The pleasant village of Betws Garmon, otherwise known as Capel Salem, lies amid spectacular mountain scenery.
The Gwyfrai at Betws Garmon
Saint Garmon is purported to have lived in the village in around 400 A.D and established a place of worship there. The name means the Church of Garmon. The present church in Betws Garmon dates from 1842 but stands on the site of the original. The church font, dating from 1614, is inscribed 'Capel, Saint Garmon, Betws', meaning Chapel of the church of Saint Garmon.
The Afon Gwfrai flows through the village, which the Welsh Highland Railway also runs through. Betws Garmon is home to the Ystrad Mine, the largest iron mine in Gwynedd. There are two large caravan parks, set in superb scenery, in the area.
Nearby Llyn Cwellyn an attractive lake beneath the steep slopes of Mynydd Mawr, is overlooked by the Snowdon Ranger Path to the summit of Mount Snowdon. The route there and back takes about five hours.